Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Vianden to Bleesbréck: Day 127

A short day to rest my knee.

I could have combined two of the stages in my guidebook today, but decided to give my knee a rest so planned a short walk today and tomorrow. As I arrived at Bleesbréck, my destination for the day at one pm, with no-one at the campsite reception I did wonder if it had been a good idea, but my Youth Hostel for tomorrow was already booked so I was committed. Probably a good thing as I will be walking for the next month and need my knee to do so.

Lacking anyone at the campsite I rang their telephone number. As the lady answering spoke no English I struggled on in French. Languages were never my strong point but I gather she said pitch your tent where you like, and she would be there in 40 minutes. After pitching, it transpired I was in the way of a man with a big mower (and an even bigger machine for hoovering up the grass clippings). He let me stay though.

Last night there was thunder and subsequently rain, and showers were forecast today. So far, although the sky is overcast it has stayed dry, and was a little cooler than recently which made for more pleasant walking. There were also fewer steep slopes as I walked across farmland and through woods, climbing (gently) away from the Ours River. Only 14 kilometres to reach my destination today but I added another two by missing a turning. Sites included an old railway station, a roadside shrine (one of many I have passed) and an elaborate shelter to sit under a roof. Dull weather rather spoilt the impact of the pleasant views over the countryside. Although at the end of the Second World War it would have looked more threatening with fighting between German and American troops as part of the Battle of the Bulge.




No comments:

Post a Comment

E2 European Long Distance Path: Comments

After 205 days and 4507 kilometres (2817 miles) over 6 trips, I completed the E2 European Long Distance Path, including an unofficial sectio...