Thursday, September 14, 2023

Bleesbréck to Beaufort: Day 128

Another short day, with magical, morning rays of sunlight through the trees, and a tour of Beaufort Castle.

A wet, misty morning seemed to have brought a collection of slugs to the environs of my tent. I carefully stepped around them to pick up some croissants from the nearby petrol station shop. Their coffee machine was unfortunately not working for me and on asking I could not understand what the shop assistant was telling me, so I settled for a bottle of what I thought was orange juice but was mango and pineapple. However my hopes were rewarded on finding an open bar at the first village I walked through. 

One small coffee later I was climbing up the hillside into beech woods. A mist hung in the air which highlighted beams of white light from the low sun, created by the shadows of the many trees. The manner in which they radiated created a beautiful picture, constantly changing as I moved through the woodland.

Morning light through trees.

Unlike most countries, the trails in Luxembourg are waymarked by simple geometric shapes; a green triangle, a blue diamond, or a more complex collection of shapes. Yellow circles were the symbols I was following, at least normally, although at one point my guidebook and GPS track diverted me onto a pretty path in the woods.

Walking across the countryside towards a stationary wind turbine. 

Leaving the beauty of the woods behind I followed single track roads over green farmland. Now the mist had dispersed the sun beat down on my hat but I did not have far to go today. Another woodland followed which included a curious arrangement of metal channels with an Archimedes screw to lift water from a brook, that could then be released to turn wheels. Unfortunately one of the "gates" was missing so sufficient water could not be collected to turn the other devices. Soon after this device I was at Beaufort.

At the edge of this village there are two castles; a medieval castle ruin dating from the 11th century with subsequent additions. Then, no doubt in need of something more modern, a Baron von Beck built a Renaissance castle in the 17th century behind the older one. This later castle was occupied until 2012 by its last owner, who died aged 98 having lived there alone for her last 20 years. Her hobby was her rose garden which had neat box hedges. Sadly these have been badly affected by box blight, despite the treatments with "disinfectant" that the guide told me they had received. The castle and its contents were gifted to the state by its owner on her death. She seemed to have changed little since her marriage so furniture and decor are from the 1930's and earlier. 

Beaufort Medieval Castle.

I am now at Beaufort Youth Hostel. Unlike the hostel at Vianden this is a modern building at the edge of town, so not quite the same atmosphere....also no school children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

E2 European Long Distance Path: Comments

After 205 days and 4507 kilometres (2817 miles) over 6 trips, I completed the E2 European Long Distance Path, including an unofficial sectio...