Monday, May 15, 2023

Scherpenheuval to Diest: E2 Day 111

A short walk today by farmland and meadows to the historic city of Diest.

After a leisurely breakfast I returned to the basilica. Stalls outside were selling candles and other religious articles. As the building was now open I went inside and sat in a seat at the back. Several other people were sitting in quiet contemplation. I looked around the dark, baroque interior. Above the altar, lost among the silver and gold surround, was "Our Lady of Scherpenheuval". Smaller than I imagined, maybe 50 cm high, and surrounded by a cone of cloth, with just her small head showing. The statue was originally found hanging from an oak tree where the basilica now stands, sometime earlier that the mid 16th century. Numerous miracles were ascribed to "Our Lady" and Scherpenheuval became a place of pilgrimage.

Leaving the town behind I continued by fields of hay and barley. Farmers were out spraying or spreading manure in their huge tractors. Colourful summer flowers were blooming on the verges, a lady past me carrying a bunch of them. The land which had been flat for so long was now swelling up to create very low hills.

Morning on the GR5.

A flower called fiddleneck according to my PlantNet App

On reaching the outskirts of Diest the GR5 took a turn to the south into meadows of long grass on a rough path, eventually swinging back up into its southern suburbs. Diest is an ancient town with many old and historic buildings. The main square or Grote Markt was lined with bars with chairs and tables outside. At its head was the grand town hall with several flags flying, Sint-Sulpitiuskerk, a large church was to its right. The outside of the church was a white limestone and a contrasting orange-brown sandstone. Sadly it was closed on Mondays so I could not peer inside. There were many historic buildings nearby. I thought a brick  building called Het Spijker looked particularly attractive surrounded by a canal. Once a building connected with the monastery at Tongerlo it is now a hotel.

Het Spijker.

Leaving the centre I stopped to have a look at the citadel. I had trouble working out where to go. What I assume were the outer earthen ramparts were well disguised by trees and inside the brick lined centre there seemed to be modern office buildings. I later found a website with an aerial photo of the citadel which gave a better idea of what it looked like. In general I thought Diest looked a bit dusty, with weeds growing in the pavements, not like the clean and tidy places I had encountered earlier in my trip across the Low Countries. The local tourist website was not too helpful either being a bit short on specifics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jura E2 / GR5: Some comments

My experience of the GR5, the path taken by the E2 across the Jura mountains, was much influenced by the April weather. Contrary to expectat...