Thursday, October 6, 2022

Jedburgh to Morebattle: E2 Day 51

A walk through mixed farmland and ribbons of trees on a sunny but blustery day.

Today a shorter walk stopping in the village of Morebattle. Then in the following two full days I should reach the campsite at Byrness, after a night wild camping on the Cheviot hills. Such is my plan.

I rejoined the St Cuthbert's Way by following the Border Abbey Way out of Jedburgh. On the way, lively, rock music coming from a field made me look and see a couple of men shearing sheep. As it was October rather than spring when sheep need to loose their winter coat I was suprised. Google however explained that shearing in October was common, there was still time to grow a winter coat and it stopped the sheeps wool becoming matted and dirty. Last time I walked this way I recalled flowers on the dog roses, today there were only a few old red rose hips. A wicked thorned branch reached out and scratched the back of my hand, as if to hold me back, although the gusty wind was probably responsible. 

Otherwise the walk today was enjoyable, through fields of grass and stubble from some harvested crop on paths or quiet roads. The fields often bordered by dry stone walls. Occasional cows looked at me as I walked by. There were several stretches of woodland paths among tall pines and mature beeches underlain by ferns. The trees often formed rectangular corridors between fields. They at least provided shelter from the cool breeze although a few succumbed to its force and collapsed to the ground. The roads (and paths) were surprisingly straight with right angle bends.

Straight road among farmland.

Trees above the path of ash, pine and oak, blowing in the wind.

The one tourist site was the ruins of Cessford Castle. Dating from about 1450 it was on the front line in the long running confrontation with the English. Today I searched for shelter from the wind outside the remaining walls so as to enjoy my lunch.

Cessford castle, home of the Kers.

Soon I was in Morebattle, a small village where I am checked into the Templehall hotel. Next door is an old church which a man was restoring when I passed by last year. He was hoping to create a sanctury on the St Cuthbert's Way which could enhance its religious significance for pilgrims. It seemed he failed in his mission as the building has been sold, possibly to be made into someone's home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jura E2 / GR5: Some comments

My experience of the GR5, the path taken by the E2 across the Jura mountains, was much influenced by the April weather. Contrary to expectat...