Monday, April 15, 2024

Villers-le-Lac to Les Seignes : Day 166

A change in landscape and weather today.

After a few warm, sunny days the temperature has dropped. It is windy, clouds have appeared and conditions are more typical of April. Fortunately only a few spots of the forecast rain fell and there were patches of sun. As for landscape, having followed the River Doub for two days, the GR5 now climbed into the mountains of the Haut Doubs. I walked through conifers and cow pastures at heights of over 1000 metres.

The Swiss border had turned south a little before Villers-le-Lac. Leaving the town after a visit to the supermarket this morning, a lengthy climb ensued to regain the border on a high ridge. Border stones, at irregular intervals marked my route for a few kilometres. These were numbered and on the top was a line carved into the stone and highlighted in red which marked the exact position of the border and in which direction it continued. As the path was rocky in places I was careful in placing my feet in order to protect my left knee from any lateral or turning movements. In addition I was wearing my knee support in the hope it would reduce the swelling that prevented my knee bending fully.

Trees generally obscured the view but in a gap I could see to the north more urban areas than I expected in the vicinity of Villers-le-Lac. The GR5 itself runs through remote areas but one can never be sure quite how close large settlements are. Modernity also intruded in the shape of a large metal tower, possibly for television transmissions?

View over Villers-le-Lac.

Leaving the border for a while, the route followed roads with a deviation to a large, concrete cross. Trees had been managed so that the  cross could be seen from the north, which also meant I could see the countryside. Here there were fewer buildings other than a village directly below and more gentle tree covered ridges, green fields and meadows. Some of the trees lining the path in recent days have been really tall and I have been passing the harvested trunks. Far too long for telegraph poles, I wondered if these long sections had a special use.

Later view from cross with fewer houses.

There were many yellow flowers such as Marsh Marigolds in ditches and these flowers on drier ground which looked like a cross between primroses and cowslips.

There was much climbing with a total ascent of 1300 metres today, but some of it was on roads which was easier on my knee. One such road climb led to the Col de Châteleu, where there was an Auberge (closed until May). I had planned to stay by Les Seignes. There was an area for tents with a cabin and a basic toilet, but it was early and the location was exposed to the wind which was forecast to increase. Consequently I continued. A Gîte d'Etape was signposted but somehow I missed it and just kept going. 

The GR5 returned to the border, crossing briefly into Switzerland. On returning to France in a wooded area I picked a flattish spot to pitch my tent, clearing away fallen branches. While the trees are protecting me from the wind I am hoping no large branches fall off onto my tent.

27.9 kilometres walked today with a 1200 metre ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jura E2 / GR5: Some comments

My experience of the GR5, the path taken by the E2 across the Jura mountains, was much influenced by the April weather. Contrary to expectat...