Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Marston to Croxton Kerrial: E2 Day 84

Blessed with another sunny day, I walked across the Lincolnshire farmland. 

I began today's walk by heading in a westward direction crossing fields. The Viking Way started in this direction yesterday afternoon in order to avoid Grantham. Reaching the village of Long Bennington after crossing back and fore over the River Witham, I decided to divert into its centre to visit a cafe promised by Google Maps. I would not encounter any other village today so this was my only chance. Their raspberry and white chocolate cake was exceedingly good, a Victoria Sponge type cake with a filling containing chips of white chocolate.

Crossing the River Witham.

After Long Bennington my route was due south. My enjoyment of the walk through the countryside was marred by the effects of off-road vehicles. Sections of the track, were deeply rutted by the 4 x 4s. Avoiding areas of mud and pools of water, extending from hedge to hedge in places, proved difficult. A shame as the route (Sewstern Lane) apparently dated back to Bronze Age times, and was used as a Drove road to bring cattle south to market, in more recent centuries.

Rutted track made by offroaders.

A more pleasant part of my day's travel was beside the Grantham Canal. There were restored locks but also floating booms so I was unsure whether it was currently navigable. In the morning the trail was over flat arable farmland with one slight rise, but after the canal the route rose over a limestone ridge. I caught glimpses of Belvoir Castle from the canal, standing on top of the escarpment. 

Gentle rise away from flat farmland.

Climbing up the escarpment. 

There being no accommodation on the Viking Way in these parts, I diverted off the track to the village of Croxton Kerrial where I had booked a room in the local pub. At the village store I discussed the best snacks for my walk tomorrow with the man serving. He recommended the samosas and the tiffin, which is exactly what I bought. In the pub that evening there were three men in motorcycle leathers having long and detailed discussions about obscure bike topics. The pub had a "Community Dinner" on Tuesday nights tonight with a very nice pork escallops, dauphinoise potatoes and vegetables. Only problem was that you had to decide how much to pay....

1 comment:

  1. Our best man and his wife used to live in Carlton Scroop!! I wish I'd known about the blog earlier. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Jura E2 / GR5: Some comments

My experience of the GR5, the path taken by the E2 across the Jura mountains, was much influenced by the April weather. Contrary to expectat...