Friday, April 15, 2022

Big Dog Forest to Belleek: E2 Day 18

For today's hike, 10 kilometres through forest followed by 15 kilometres of road, with periods of rain and drizzle. Not as bad as it sounds!

I woke up to the sound of rain drops pelting my tent, contradicting the cyclist I met yesterday who said it would be dry today! So much for weather forecasts. After dozing for a while I was blessed with an interlude between showers allowing me to decamp in comfort without the contortions needed to pack my rucksack within the small confines of my tent while it is raining outside.

Leaving Little Dog Mountain the track crossed the centre of Lough Nabrickboy on a causeway. There was even a picnic table and litter bin (although the bag in the bin was filling with rain water so I saved up my rubbish for later). There followed a winding walk through the commercial forest, with trees in various stages of growing and having been harvested. I was impressed by the amount of moss on some of the trees and on fallen logs, reminiscent of a fairy tale at times, or else a fantasy novel with the mist giving an air of mystery. Such thoughts were disturbed by two dogs bounding up to me, a husky and German shepherd who jumped up to greet me. The owners, out for a run, were most apologetic. 

Moss covered trees gave the forest a mystical air.

Forest track through mist enclosed trees, a frequent vista on my trip.

On reaching the road on the north side of the Conagher forest there is an optional loop through the Lough Navar forest taking in the panorama from the Magho Cliffs. Not that I would see much through the drizzle today. I had not planned to complete this 17 kilometre loop, and there was not time to walk it today and reach my booked accommodation tonight. Nevertheless an irrational feeling of guilt hung around me as I ignored the loop and started on the 15 kilometre road walk to Belleek. 

If it had not been for the poor visibility today, I would have enjoyed the sight of Lough Melvin from the road and the mountains beyond. As it was, I focused on beauty nearer to me, the drifts of daffodils brightening up the verge by a house, or the yellow forsythia in a garden. Wind turbines were slowly turning in the breeze. A flock of sheep burst into load "baaas" as I passed their field. Much of the road walk was by rough farmland with isolated, single storey, white houses, placed periodically. Thankfully there was little traffic until I was close to Belleek, where I joined a much busier road with fast cars coming around blind corners often with verges of limited or no width to jump onto. So it was reassuring to reach the pavement at the edge of the village. 

View from the road walk to Belleek.
 

Remarkably straight road.

First stop was the Lemon Tree café for a latte, goats cheese salad (I try and keep up with my five a day) and carrot cake (with cream and ice cream, justified by the 3,130 calories I used yesterday according to my smart watch, and it did not know the weight of my rucksack). Second stop was the Fiddlestone B&B where I am planning to stay two nights, giving me a rest day as I am feeling tired. My knee is also looking a bit puffy and its Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jura E2 / GR5: Some comments

My experience of the GR5, the path taken by the E2 across the Jura mountains, was much influenced by the April weather. Contrary to expectat...